Sep 8, 2009
9 things to do on 9.9.9.
I hope you like the number 9, because this Wednesday you'll be seeing it everywhere! For the only time this century, the calendar will read 9/9/09, and for a couple of moments on that day the clock will read 9:09. I know most of us will be at work or school, but for others it will be a day to remember.
Here's my list of 9 things you can do to celebrate the 9th day of the 9th month of the 9th year in the 2000s.
1) Get married. In general, Wednesdays are an unlikely day for people to get married, but we're sure the local marriage-license bureaus will get some extra foot-traffic for wannabe brides and grooms. Last year, for 8-8-08, 16,000 couples were married in Beijing, in part because 8 is a good number in Chinese cultural beliefs.
2) Have a baby. While it's too late to get caught up if you didn't plan for this 9 months ago, don't be surprised to hear of stories of moms-to-be waiting and watching the clock, in hopes of delivering their babies at 9:09 on 9/9/09. Last year, a Minnesota mom delivered a baby at 8:08 on 8/8/08 - the baby's weight: 8 lbs. 8 oz
3) Snap a photo of yourself. Where will you be at 9:09 on 9/9/09? Wherever you are, take a picture of yourself and post it online.
4) Rock The Beatles. On 9/9/09, a whole new set of remastered Beatles' recordings will be put on sale. Some say this collection represents the truest reproduction of Beatles music ever made - like being in their studio as they were recording. You can also get your first crack at Beatles stardom by buying the new Beatles version of the video-interactive game Rock Band.
5) Rock with Apple. All sorts of rumors floating around Silicon Valley, looking for a big product announcement out of Apple headquarters on 9/9/09. All Apple will say is that the event is called "It's Only Rock and Roll". Some are speculating that the Apple Corps music catalog (The Beatles label) will finally come to Apple (computer) iTunes. Others are hoping that Apple will release a new tablet computer, which functions like an iPhone, but is closer to the size of a sheet of paper.
6) Watch a movie. How about this new release, the movie "9" hits the screens on 9/9/09. This is an animated post-apocalytpic story by acclaimed director Tim Burton.
7) Study up on the health-care debate. President Obama will deliver a speech on health care to a joint session of Congress. He'll be laying out specifics of his plan to reform our nation's health system. Since the speech will be televised in prime-time, you have all day to study and come up with your own plan.
8) Study up on your 9 numerology. Did you know the number "9" is a number of completion and finality, as well as sympathy, love, selfless sacrifice and morality? Neither did we. But the numerologists among us are working to shine some light on the power of "9"
9) Book a vacation! Several hotels are offering special deals for 9/9/9 and beyond. Here's a Google search with some options. Truth is, September in general is a slow time for the travel industry, so you're likely to find lower rates and negotiable terms on many of your favorite places.
That's my list of 9! What's on your docket for 9/9/09? Tell us in the comments below.